Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall...

I've decided it's my favorite season.  Spring is supposed to be the season of beginnings, and it is.  But Fall also has its beginnings, and I love them.

Fall is the beginning of football season.  For many wives, this is a "pause" on time spent with their hubby.  For Andrew and I, it's one more common interest we share.  I love the anticipations of waiting for the game on Saturday almost as much as the game itself.  Please note, I did say almost.  I also love the anticipation of waiting for the rankings to be posted.  Unless we (MSU) lost on Saturday. Then, I dread the rankings.  Fortunately, this week we won and moved up one spot.

Fall is the beginning of things that smell and taste wonderful:
Apples.  Apple pie.  Apple picking.  Apple cake.  Apple dumplings.  I'm going home to Greenville this weekend, and if my mom makes apple dumplings, I will die of happiness.
Pumpkin spice lattes and everything else "pumpkin-y".  I currently have pumpkin spice soap in my kitchen and apple pie soap in my downstairs bathroom.  When you come to my house, find a reason to wash your hands.  The festive smell is wonderful.
Leaves and the smell of burning them.  It's refreshing.  I don't know why, but it is.  It also makes me nostalgic, because I spent many fall days in Michigan raking leaves with my brothers who now live states away from me.

Fall is the beginning of a new routine.  I've always been a sucker for routines.  Because school starts back, everyone and everything settle into new routines.  I like the predictability of that.

This one is the best one, so brace yourself.  Fall is the beginning of the holiday season.  I include Halloween in this because Andrew really likes spooky things.  During the month of October, I can count on him to sing "The Ghost of John" and try to spook me in every silly way he can think of.  I sincerely hate being scared, but being spooked is a bit different.  It's silly, and I secretly like that.  Don't tell him.  That would take some of the fun out of October.
October also contains Andrew's birthday.  I love birthdays, so that's almost a holiday as well.
Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I should just leave it at that, because they really need no explanation.  However, my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is that it anticipates Christmas.  I love that for the entire month of December, I am reminded of how Christ came to earth into humble circumstances to live a perfect life and die the death that would give me life.  I love that.

Fall is also the beginning of super fun festive decorations.  Mine this year cost me $20 in the target dollar aisle. Here they are:
 The mantle with fun fall additions


 The front door wreath I made


 The steps - with my white pumpkin that I adore


 My totally unimpressed boy. He really likes the pumpkins, actually.  Don't let the snarl fool you.



 The kitchen table - I love when I have a centerpiece.


That - all those rambling reasons - is why I love fall the best.

1 comment:

  1. I love your love of fall! I think that it's my favorite season too and I share almost all your reasons. Now I just need to go to Target and then buy some apple soap :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete