Saturday, July 27, 2013

90 days 'til 30

I met him when I was 18 and he was 21.  He doesn't even remember meeting me.  I didn't really care one way or the other about him that day, but now he's the best husband to me and daddy to our son that I could ever have asked for.  This morning, he texted me this:

"The countdown begins.  90 days and I'm 30."

He cannot WAIT.
I'm not kidding; he was born to be an old man.
(not that I think 30 is old)

I remember his 23rd birthday when I made him cookies. That's back when I thought 23 was old. I don't know if I really think anything is old anymore.

But the point of this blog isn't to talk about age or to be overly nostalgic.  It is to plainly say that the last 8.5 years of my life have been increasingly blessed by Andrew Pritchett.  I guess it's a toast, of sorts, to my husband.

When we were "just friends," he was fun, loyal, and dependable.  Now, he is those things and more. He daily fulfills Ephesians 5 and the vows he made on our wedding day.

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her..."

Andrew isn't perfect, but he is such a wonderful example of this command.
He gives himself up for me every morning when he goes to work and provides for us.
He gives himself up for me when I'm sick and look awful and he holds me and tells me I'm not gross -that, in fact, I am his wife and I am beautiful.
He gives himself up for me when the day is over and I'm exhausted and I still have dishes to do, but he sends me to bed and does them for me.
He gives himself up for me when I'm acting in sin and he patiently points me back to the Gospel.
He gives himself up for me when he acts in sin but humbly repents and asks my forgiveness.
He gives himself up for me when I'm sad and he gets up from his pile of papers and books to hold me.
He gives himself up for me when he comes home and sits with me on the couch and we're just together.
He gives himself up for me on Jamocha day at Goodberry's when he tells me to go get myself some frozen custard just because I love it.
He gives himself up for me when he watches basketball for the entire month of March with me even though he really doesn't like it that much.
He gives himself up for me when he cares for Bram so I can go have coffee and read a book in peace.
The list could go on...

So, 90 days before your 30th, I want to raise a glass to my friend and wonderful husband.

Andrew, here's to you and the blessing you are to me and so many. Your friendship, your loyalty, your self-sacrifice, your love for others, your sense of humor, your dedication and integrity have been blessing me for many years.  Here's to many more.
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment